By KP Kelly, Staff Writer
The holidays are going to be here before you can say Carlo Colaiacovo ten times fast without screwing up. So, what gifts do you buy all your depressed Caniac friends this December? In past you may have bought a player jersey, tickets a game, or an autographed photo. Alas, now you and all your NHL buddies despise the NHL and don’t feel like supporting the indecisive, greedy (fill in your own insulting word here).
No worries Caniacs, we have you covered. Here are eight fabulous gift ideas that will surely make any Canes’ fan smile.
8. A Hockey Movie Bundle: Fill a basket with your favorite hockey flicks, add popcorn, and Twizzlers and you have a tasty, entertaining present.
7. Hockey at Home: Head over to Five Hole Sports or Play It Again to buy a shooting pad, goalie net, stick, and a couple of pucks. If they can’t go to hockey, bring it to them.
6. Gift Cards: A gift card to the Backyard Bistro or Carolina Ale House would support businesses that have lost profit due to the lockout and happily fill your pal’s belly.
4. Apparel: Not all hockey apparel must be purchased through the NHL. Support a local company, like Outer Edge Threads.
3. Voodoo Dolls: Hit the craft store and create a Gary Bettman voodoo doll. Don’t forget to include sharp objects to stick him with.
2. In Name Donation: Making donations in the name of a friend or loved one is always a heartfelt gift. Consider making a donation to the Triangle Special Hockey Association or NC Electric Wheelchair Hockey Association.
1. Pray: Get on your knees and pray for your follow Caniacs and all those negatively impacted by the lockout. Heck, if a shortened season actually happens in 2013, you can say, “You are welcome. I brought the Canes back to the ice for you.”
Happy Holidays Caniacs!